UnitedHealthcare Academy at Butler University
Internships at UnitedHealth Group. If you want an intern experience that will dramatically shape your career, consider a company that’s dramatically shaping our entire health care system. A UnitedHealth Group internship opportunity will provide a hands-on view of a rapidly evolving, incredibly challenging marketplace of ideas, products and services. You’ll work side by side with some of the smartest people in the business and gain valuable industry experience. So here we are. You have a lot to learn. We have a lot to do. It’s the perfect storm. And even better? Join us and you may end up staying for a career in which you can do your life’s best work.(sm)
This is not just an internship. Become a part of a dedicated team within our sales call center that is working hard to make health care work better for everyone. You’ll benefit from healthcare sales experiences and collaboration with experienced professionals and leaders. You’ll have the opportunity for continuous learning while building a foundation of skills. Further, as a selected participant in the UnitedHealthcare Academy @ Butler University, you will be trained in multiple roles during the full-time summer experiences, while staying engaged and earning income throughout the academic years of your undergraduate journey.
As exciting as it may be, this kind of opportunity also presents unique challenges. You’ll need to keep up with constantly evolving systems and technology tools. You’ll need to embrace our commitment to an agile and collaborative culture that drives a successful sales center. You’ll need to work in a disciplined approach to processes that helps us protect the health care data of millions of members.
This is a paid, 3-year engagement offering 40 hours per week during each summer term. After successful completion of the summer internship(s), it is expected that a work schedule consisting of at least 10-hours per week will be sustained throughout the school year. (flexibility exists for course schedule, breaks, etc.) Typical hours of operation are 8am to 10pm Monday – Thursday,8am to 8pm Friday and 9am to 5:30pm Saturdays.
As a Sales Support Specialist, you will take incoming phone calls from customers who have already received a quote, will answer any follow up questions, and may assist customers with completing their enrollment applications. The Sales Support Specialist may assist the sales department with any new initiatives and outbound customer campaigns during high call volume periods.
This role is a great fit for someone who enjoys helping people, who is excited about sales, and values the opportunity of working with warm leads. You will be a part of a team environment that promotes collaboration, elite performance, and recognition.
- Receive inbound calls from customers interested in purchasing insurance products
- Update the CRM (Customer Relationship Management) database with customer information
- Assist customers with their applications via the website and over the phone
- Handle customer inquiries regarding health and supplementary insurance products, including answering plan questions, providing enrollment support, as well as making follow up calls to new and existing customers
- When applicable, assist the sales advisor by providing a quote to the customer
- Meet established monthly performance objectives
- Collaborate with others as part of a team or work independently to solve routine or complex problems as needed
- Other projects and responsibilities as assigned
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Currently in your Freshman year pursuing a Bachelor’s degree from Butler University, with the intent to major in Marketing
- Must be actively enrolled in Butler University for the duration of the 3-year program
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without company sponsorship, now or in the future, for employment-based work authorization. F-1 visa holders with Optional Practical Training (OPT) who will require H-1B status, TNs, or current H-1B visa holders will not be considered. H1-B and green card sponsorship is not available for this position
- You will be asked to perform this role in an office setting or other company location, however, may be required to work from home temporarily due to space limitations
- Employees are required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or a similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener prior to entering the work site each day, in order to keep our work sites safe. Employees must comply with any state and local masking orders. In addition, when in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are expected to wear a mask in areas where physical distancing cannot be attained
- Demonstrated ability in using computer and Windows PC applications including Microsoft Word and Excel, which includes strong keyboard and navigation skills and learning new computer programs
- Ability to multi-task, including the ability to navigate a computer while speaking on the telephone
- Excellent communication skills
- Active listener
- Demonstrates the ability to perform proficiently in a dynamic call center role
- Quick learner who is able to stay organized
Careers with UnitedHealthcare. Let's talk about opportunity. Start with a Fortune 6 organization that's serving more than 85 million people already and building the industry's singular reputation for bold ideas and impeccable execution. Now, add your energy, your passion for excellence, your near-obsession with driving change for the better. Get the picture? UnitedHealthcare is serving employers and individuals, states and communities, military families and veterans where ever they're found across the globe. We bring them the resources of an industry leader and a commitment to improve their lives that’s second to none. This is no small opportunity. It's where you can do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.